Translate

Monday, February 18, 2013

"Awakening" - A Poem in Response to Billy Collins's "Morning"

This is a poem I wrote in response to "Morning" by Billy Collins; a copy of his piece and an audio clip of he reading it can be found at poetryfoundation.org. It isn't written on the same subject but was inspired by his depictions of different times of day. It's a first draft and not my best work, but it's a start after my writing hiatus.




• • •



Awakening


The mornings were nice
when waking with him.
We stirred with the first signs of life,
musical yawning and cat stretches,
then dozed off again
entangled in arms.
We would be roused again
as blue sky afternoon began to peep
from under fog covers
and Ra slipped his golden fingers
through the blinds,
like a mother, coaxing us out of bed.
Our stomachs would chortle,
anticipating fresh coffee and oatmeal.
But some force kept us in bed.
I didn’t want to take my head
off such warm, bony pillow. His heartbeat
thrummed strong in my ear
as I listened to his steady breathing
in and out,


in and out.
That’s all it ever amounts to now.
It’s come to be expected,
and it hurts, sometimes
like serrated scissors
are gnawing inside. I clench my jaw
to keep my breath from escaping
in groans, waiting
until he finishes
and leaves
and I can just be

alone.
The mornings after
he is gone will always the same.
My room trashed with sandwich wrappers
scattered across the desk
where the textbooks should have been
and empty espresso cups strewn over the side table,
toppled and lined with mold.
The wrinkled sheets
are of ice, tucked under my comforter,
and snow blankets my bed.
Hesitation freezes me, my joints
rusted shut knowing I must crawl out
into the chill of this empty little dorm room.
The vacant bed opposite
where a roommate should have been
(another story not worth words)
seems to stare, that naked mattress,
mysteriously stained, just like mine
and all others you’d find in resident halls,
by strangers I’ll never meet.
The people outside, even ones I know,
seem stranger yet as I get to know them;
I have no time for them,
nor for me.
But then I find myself
wishing for that pillow with a heartbeat.

5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful and moving poem. I really like it and appreciate you reading it for us in class. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lot of great images. The one that stood out the most to me was the "bony pillow" that you invoke again near the end with "pillow with a heartbeat". There are so many other great images and sensual words. It gives the poem a nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you shared this poem with the class. I really connected to the speaker in it. I know that I too have found myself wishing for that "pillow with a heartbeat."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem! I loved the line "musical yawns and cat stretches," I definitely understand those sounds/ movements. I like the way your poem comes full circle and expresses a lot of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the comments above, I hope you see how truly wonderful this poem is. You were really able to capture a beautifully calm image. I can see the emotion you were trying to express. I am at a loss for words to express how much I love this poem!
    Bravo

    ReplyDelete